Monday, October 23, 2017

German Club--small world

Kinda kooky, but I actually had a woman at my German group this month whose children I had gone to school with back in the 70s & 80s!

She hadn't signed up on the online list, so I wasn't expecting her at the Treff. She had come as the guest of a new group member. They were 'early birds' to the event, so I didn't spot them right away. It was only when I began assembling tables for our pow-wow that they waved me over to their spot in the corner, and asked if I were from the German group. Klar doch!

We got straight to chatting and I quickly found out that the woman, originally from East Germany, came over in '61. She fled East Germany on her own. I think, though, that she'd already met her husband before leaving the DDR. How exactly, I didn't quite catch. They married here in America, I'm fairly sure. Her husband was what was then called a Displaced Person, or DP, from Silesia, now Poland. The woman couldn't remember if she had left the DDR before or after the Wall had been built. I should think it must have been before as it was almost impossible to leave East Berlin after the Wall had been erected. I asked her if her children were around my age. Then I asked after her family name. As soon as she said it, I knew immediately who her kids were. They grew up up the street from me. We were all close in age, but not so close that we ever shared a class together. I recall having walked with her daughter to school occasionally. Her kids seemed really clever, and, I now know why, a little bit different. And I don't mean that in a bad way. They just seemed more reserved than the rest of us kids in the neighborhood. Given their parents' personal histories, I could see why that might have been.


8 comments:

  1. I am frequently surprised by just how small the world is. Sometimes I think the three degrees of separation is overstated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a funny thing really. Connection abounds.

      Delete
  2. Small world. It seems so long ago, but it really isn't. We should have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Amazing how you'd run into someone you peripherally know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a clear memory of how her kids looked back in the 70s in my mind. Weird stuff.

      Delete
  4. It is a small world, now with Facebook and Google it became even smaller.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Wood/Driftwood

Bartie in the yard. Backyard horse, Palo Alto Ocean Beach after a recent storm. Wild wood in Golden Gate Park The most I've 'made...